Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gratitudeness ...


Thank you Vikki
Originally uploaded by mslori411 (Flickr break)

A wise woman in my recovery circle said this in a recent meeting:
"Thankfulness is about how we receive what we've been given. Gratitude is about how we give based on what we've received."

Gratitude is an action.

"A grateful heart doesn't drink." This is an action about honoring one's sobriety.

I listened this morning to a recovery phone meeting that was about having an "attitude of gratitude". I appreciated what people shared, especially when they spoke about being in service and how they are showing up differently for others in their life. These are actions of gratitude.

It is only now that I am really sitting in a place in myself where I "get this" from a lived experience of it. When I am grateful, and not in some form of selfishness, there is so much in me to give. Yesterday is a reminder of this. I felt deeply grateful yesterday, for no particular reason other than I have everything that I need -- which is really significant. A friend in the program asked me to work on Steps with her and it was a delight. I wanted to spend this time because it also strengthened my program. Our time was precious. I went to a meeting and appreciated seeing one of my sponsees chairing and watching her passion for her recovery be re-kindled by being in service. I shared honestly from my heart in this meeting and had gratitude for being able to show up for others who may still be suffering too much to get their hand up yet could benefit from hearing a message of hope. A friend wanted to join the group in Fellowship at the diner after but did not have a way to get there or get back home; I didn't even bat an eye to provide the ride. I loved his company. I felt gratitude to not be stingey with my time or my space as I would have in the past.

My gratitude allows me to be an available friend, lover, family member, sponsor, teacher, human being.

That sweet scent in the air today when I woke up ?

Gratitudeness ...

1 comment:

  1. Indeed,a grateful heart does not drink. Someone very wise once told me that, and it has stayed with me for many years. Today, I shall remain open to that wisdom ~ I miss you!
    And those many talks...you helped me grow, and I thank you.

    ReplyDelete