Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Path of Aliveness ...

Hugging the NW corridor of the city I live in is a treasure-trove of greenery and trees -- a well-maintained park that has multiple entrances.  Instead of doing a drive-by on my bike,  I wanted to luxuriate in the woods,  digging my heels in and meeting all forms of life. 

The people that roam the park come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and athletic abilities -- ranging from hard-core long distance runners and mountain bikers to those who simply want to stroll and get some fresh air.   I discovered something about myself and about people in general on my path today:   authentically smiling to connect to people passing by,  even really focused or grouchy or engrossed ones,  almost always is met with a smile in return.  In the past when my interior and exterior had a very severed cord,  my smile reached out to grab and intrude on others and,  I would venture to guess,  was off-putting and intimidating.   My smile today begins in the roots of my legs,  making its ascent through my solar plexus,  radiating around my heart,  then bubbling up like a small fountain across the muscles in my face and around my eyes.   I am aware of how it travels and then meets people where they are now.    I felt each movement with every person I passed this morning and it was really incredible to experience the intricacies of this simple act.

Here are some gorgeous sights along this path of aliveness ...


The water is a constant companion on nearly every trail of this park.  It is as soothing to me as holding the hand of someone I love.


These towering beauties lovingly hover over all the trails
creating a container of shade and serenity for all. 


Just before this shot,  there was a sweet exchange
between this magnificent butterfly and a chipmunk. 
They quickly parted as I approached and the butterfly decided
to linger and allowed me to be in her world for a brief moment.


The trees naturally do "sun salutations"  arching toward her light.
Perhaps this is where the ancient yogis came up with the name
for this position.


A budding photographer friend taught me that
some of the best views are not the panoramic ones, 
but rather those that are found when you are low to the ground,
touching the earth.   A whole world opened up to me just by squatting. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Ben !!!! How lovely & thoughtful of you to comment !

    ReplyDelete
  2. K. Didn't see the beauty of the last photo until I stared at it...funny, it took me to another place. :)

    ReplyDelete