Friday, May 20, 2011

24 hours


2009 Challenge 109/365 - Clock
Originally uploaded by Loren Zemlicka

I sat in my favorite women's meeting last night and there was a woman sitting right up front, accompanied by her elderly mother, who had just 24 hours of sobriety.

It is so clear to me now why the newcomer, the soul with just 1 day, is the most important person in the room. They are a living representation of what this program is about: 1 day at a time. To think about what may occur on the 25th hour and beyond can be too much to consider on any given day. What can I do right now, in this moment ? That feels do-able. That keeps me right-sized: I don't have to be overwhelmed by fear of the big picture nor do I have the chance to fantasize and get grandiose about it either.

There have been days this very week that I have experienced only being able to deal with 24 hours -- specifically, in my behavior re: financial affairs. I am that newcomer. Shaky at times, not fully wanting to accept that I have this thing that I am powerless over,  wanting to take my will back and turning a deaf ear to the whisperings of God.

I awoke this morning with a willingness to be in today and today only. As the alarm sounded at 6:45am, I sat up in bed and thanked God for letting me rise. I kissed my dog and sang to her and told her how much I love her. I put the Big Book meeting on my phone and listened as I made my breakfast. I put clothes on and a baseball hat, brushed my teeth, and drove to the coffeeshop to meet with my sponsee as I committed to, even when I really didn't feel like it. I brought my own mug because it's only a buck to fill it up. I sat down and the time began to pass by when we were to meet. I texted her and she texted back stating she overslept. I felt my irritation and then asked God to hold it. She called and apologized. I was able to gracefully receive the apology and asked her when she could commit to another time to meet. I did not project irritation onto her. I savored my coffee and listened to the rest of the Big Book mtg in the car. I stopped at the dollar store because I needed soap and razors. I got only what I needed. This detail of what is exactly in front of me is where I am working from right now; this is what it means to be living one day at a time.

Not a thing is guaranteed to me. I have the best chance, however,  taking each next right action in this 24 hours ...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks, K!

    It was great to see you last night. Fantastic meeting. And I so need to hear that, about buying only what I need today...

    --Linda

    PS. Hey! Look! My 'are you a person' ID words is 'pards.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you here Linda and on Thursday night. I love sharing this written journey with you !!!

    Love,

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete