Monday, July 11, 2011

Flying Blind

sky lover by kahyinG ♥
sky lover, a photo by kahyinG ♥ on Flickr.
A Sunday night call involving members of my healing community reading and reflecting on the Big Book of AA is evolving into a significant source of light, strength and comfort for me.

As we read the 2nd edition to the Foreward last evening, the phrase "Flying Blind" was used to describe the earliest efforts of Bill W. and Dr. Bob in the actual formation of what we now know as Alcoholics Anonymous. We all remarked on the risk, the courage, the faith and the trust in God that was at the heart of their actions. They never strayed from their mission and kept moving in forward momentum.

On a call this morning with one of the members of this group, who is a beloved companion to me, we marveled again in the miracle of these pioneering efforts and how grateful we are to have recovery resources at every turn -- something I never want to take for granted.

And, even more so, the act of flying blind.

This is the ultimate in trusting God.

Birds fly under all circumstances. This is what they are made to do. They flap their wings in pitch black dark and do not question whether or not it's safe or okay or worth it. They fly ... because this is their God-given nature. 

Flying blind is moving ourselves to do what God has intended us to do. What a beautiful way to begin each day if I can remember this.

"God, I trust in your presence where I move myself today. The most important thing is that I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment