Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Forest Knows Where I Am ...

The Eye of the Forest by CheGuevara-Paul
The Eye of the Forest, a photo by CheGuevara-Paul on Flickr.
"No two trees are the same to Raven. No two branches are the same to Wren. If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you, you are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows where you are. You must let it find you." ~ David Whyte


On a recent retreat of my spiritual community, I experienced a profound healing that involved being in the thick of deep woods, alone, to find my way to a lake on the other side. This journey found me face-to-face with the morph of my poisoned ground: "The unknown is dangerous and confusing and means that I need to run away and avoid anything that wreaks of it."

I followed ribbon markers until there were no more visible. I panicked multiple times. I was encouraged through a friend's text to turn around and I refused. This old historic narrative would no longer be the one I operated from -- I can't expend energy any longer for fear of moving in the wrong direction and in anticipation that something dreadful will happen. The juice of life is actually recognizing the danger for what it is and knowing that moving toward it and even jumping in it can be trusted.

In the middle of the forest, I called out to God for help. I asked to be guided and shown the next step. I stood still and paused, feeling my heart beat rapidly. I looked at the compass on my phone and took small steps North and East as I was instructed by the manager of where I was staying. In the distance, a blue plastic bag hung on a branch, dangling in the slight breeze. I trusted this sign. I moved toward it and then in its direction. Surely a former traveler did this out of kindness when there were no more markers. "Thank you God."

I eventually came out to a civilized path and made my descent toward the lake. A friend was awaitng me there and I ran to him, tears of joy and relief streaming down my face in deep appreciation for what transpired. I followed my inner compass, the wise sage within, listening to God's guidance to direct me to safety.

My healer said so poignantly in a lecture during this retreat: "Reality is whole, on-going, fully in relationship. We are made to hear this."

There is no place that God isn't. The forest knows where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment