Sunday, July 3, 2011

Love the one you're with ...

Tennis Anyone? by scottnj
Tennis Anyone?, a photo by scottnj on Flickr.
I had plans this Holiday weekend to spend time with friends in NYC, complete with a show, beach, fireworks. Instead, I am home with a chest cold. Ugh.

When life hands you lemons ... watch tennis. Turns out it's Wimbledon weekend. Finals. I used to be a fanatic viewer and literally forgot how much I love this !

This morning, as I was returning from walking the dog, my neighbor was out throwing ball with her poodle and asked how I was doing. As I replied, she could hear my stuffiness and said: "Oh, you don't sound so good." I shared with her what was happening and my canceled plans and that I was now finding solace in watching tennis on TV. She had the best response:
"Well, love the one you're with."

I used to only think of this CSNY song as a reference to promiscuity ! I never heard those words as a rather Zen, in the moment, mantra. This was a reminder to me about surrender and acceptance. Step 3 in action. What is in God's plan for me, in this moment ... I can love what it is here -- the "one" I'm with. Today, it is the men's final match at Wimbledon. It is quite exciting ! I have been stretched out on the chaise lounge, getting a course prepped and syllabus sent out for Summer 2 at the Community College while savoring the heated grunts of each player as they volley hard on the grass court. It's delightful actually.

I have also enjoyed receiving texts and photos from my sweetie as she spends the Holiday weekend with her daughter visiting family down South. I feel like I am included and have only joy in my heart for her to have this experience.

Loving the one I'm with lets me experience gratitude for what God has here for me while opening my heart to appreciate what is in the plans for others. There is no feeling sorry for my circumstances. I would have drowned myself in a river of self-pity in the past and then proceeded to blame and be resentful of others who were doing something better or more fun that I was missing out on.

I feel serenity today amid the snot and coughing. I'm gonna keep lovin' the one I'm with.

No comments:

Post a Comment