Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Night's Alright for Cookin'


Don't give me none of your aggravation
Try to coax me out so I can fit in
 Saturday night's alright for cookin
Get a little stirrin in ...


Saturday night has been one of the most overrated evenings in existence.  In my young adulthood,  there was so much pressure to go out on a Saturday night.   You were a "big loser"  if you didn't have exciting plans.   In my drinking days,  Saturday night was the one that got built up all week long as THE party night (over time,  any night of the week would do just fine !)    Even after I put down the booze,  I still responded to this social conditioning of needing to have great plans for a Saturday night.   Over the past couple of years,  I have actually come to treasure staying in on this night and doing something I enjoy or would not normally have the time to savor during the week.   One such thing is cooking.   And listening to good music.   I spent 2 hours this evening making homemade marinara sauce and meatballs (the actual concotion is depicted above) while jamming to tunes from the '60's on AOL radio.   It was absolutely delightful.  And relaxing.   This is what being sober enables me to enjoy on a Saturday night.   I'd like to debunk the myth about this being a legendary evening of the week -- it's simply another moment in time.   If it is not authentically pleasurable,  then it's a night dressed up in a pretty package without the goods inside.    
I am not against having fabulous Saturday night plans AND I am also equally thrilled when the plan is "no plans".   There is something delicious and sacred about that too.

And here's the best part for me:   when I wake up Sunday morning,  I don't feel like shit from a hangover.   Or can't get out of bed because I stayed out too late.   And I don't have to wonder who I offended because I drank at them in a hazy stupor.  

The meatballs will now get to bathe in the sauce overnight and be scrumptious for my dinner guests tomorrow.  My apartment is squeaky clean.   I am showered and in PJ's.  I can't wait to get under the covers on this extraordinarily ordinary Saturday night.







No comments:

Post a Comment