Saturday, May 22, 2010

Return to the Classroom ...


Back to School
Originally uploaded by srpphotography

Like an excited kid anticipating their first day back to school, I tossed and turned last night, barely able to contain myself for the return to the group of folks I had last summer at the suburban campus of the University where I teach social work.

Little did I know the excitement was mutual !

There was much more than the "apple for the teacher" awaiting me. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by shiny, happy faces and enormous hugs -- complete with a sheet cake and fruit trays and beverages ! They had been conspiring for weeks, I would come to find out, to give me a proper welcome back. I could have dropped to my knees in that very moment.

For the 4 students who were not with this group last summer and who were brand new to this campus, the looks on their faces were priceless, if not incredulous. One student commented: "I have never seen this done in any of my classes so far -- what have I been missing out on?" All I could do was smile inside, aware that this was indeed atypical and that the dynamic created here was something I could only credit to a power greater than myself.

Having began the day this way was a hard act to follow. Once I got over the first day jitters, I found my rhythm and the rest was the chemistry in the room and God ever-present at my back.

There is something magical that happens in the space of a classroom for me. The connection that occurs as I take in each person sharing, asking questions or observing how they respond to one another ... I literally find my eyes tearing up and getting periodic goosebumps - both of which happened today.

As I was heading out, my students insisted I take the remainder of a very large cake back with me; I knew exactly what I was going to do with it -- bring it to an evening AA meeting. It was devoured within 15 minutes of the meeting starting -- a sugar-laden dessert is the perfect alcohol replacement for us recovering drunks !

Returning to the classroom is like going home. It is comfortable, cozy, and familiar. It is where I am most at ease and in my best self. When I ask God each morning how I can be of service and useful to my fellows, the opportunity to be in the classroom is the answer to my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment