Monday, May 31, 2010

An Enlightenment Bulb Moment ...


Wind in your hair
Originally uploaded by **Ally**

Oprah has coined the phrase: "A-ha" moments. Prior to this, there was the "Lightbulb" moment. Or, the more commercial "I coulda had a V-8 !" All of these are forms of being woke up in some way. This morning, as I read on my porch, I had the Mothership of these kinds of awakenings, which I will call the "Enlightenment Bulb" moment.

It was one page. A passage from my teacher Jason's book. And the awareness was blindingly shimmering. It was like one last puzzle piece to the Fearing the Unknown jigsaw that I have been working on for several years now. Here are some key statements from Jason's passage: "Going into the unknown is going into knowledge that is original. Experience that is original cannot be arrived at by comparison, which is where most of our learning comes from, dredged up from memory, contrasting one thing with another ... The next time you are in the unknown in any way, instead of thinking 'I'm lost' - which is knowledge from some other time or place or person -- think, 'I am free. There are no ideas or concepts that are binding me. Let's see what's here.' "

Holy Crap.

Everytime I have entered what I deemed to be the "terror-filled place of the Unknown"  it is because I  compared it to the knowledge of my history and the story that I held: "The Unknown is Dangerous." This could be considered a "Morph" in my healing school terminology. I relied on knowledge, always, that was from some other time period (usually my childhood), some other place and some other people. And, as I would anticipate facing the Unknown or eventually being in the Unknown, I would absolutely feel lost. I sometimes described it as an endless vast canyon or utter pitch-black darkness. I created a sense of lostness each and everytime because I based my reactions to what was known in my past.

I have been in relationship to the Unknown as of recent months in a totally new way. It has been less scary, bearable, and there have been visible rays of light in the mystery. Today's passage brings it home in the hugest of ways for me. In this place that I am entering and do not have knowledge of, I can be an explorer, an adventurous and curious navigator, with my flashlight of Presence, checking out what is here. Each trip into the Unknown is new territory that has not yet been charted until I consciously decide to investigate. The outdated maps can be discarded; they were based on old routes which led me to dark places and ultimately nowhere.   And, this will also help alleviate anxiety and worry, because I used to anticipate winding up in one of these dark places based on my previous trips !

I am not lost in the Unknown. I am FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment