Thursday, December 17, 2009

Serenity Prayer in Action


Bottom of the panonian sea II
Originally uploaded by Katarina 2353

At my favorite women's AA meeting tonight, the chairperson read a small piece from "Living Sober". It was centered around the Serenity Prayer and she asked the group to share about how we use it -- both in staying sober AND in our daily affairs to live a sober life.

As I thought about this, I recall that my return to the rooms at the start of this year found me using the Serenity Prayer as a "go to" tool in my newly constructed AA toolbox -- like a favorite hammer -- to pound serenity into my thick, stubborn head that wanted to impose my will on situations.

Today, I know where it is in the toolbox and it rests comfortably alongside many other items that have been added over this year. It is a prayer that has become a part of my fabric as I practice my steps, especially the 3rd step. Any time I become aware of wanting to alter or manipulate or not accept a situation, the words of the Serenity Prayer begin to rise up in me, almost automatically now, gently resting on my shoulders and reminding me that I can wait, that I don't have to take any action in the moment, that I can pause and take those soothing deep breaths.

I experienced a situation this morning, involving a phone call from my bank about a claim I filed re: the faulty clutch repair on my car a month back; they are only refunding me a small portion of the total cost, as there is not enough documentation to support a full refund. I had "counted my chickens before they hatched' and already had a place for that money to go to take care of a particular bill. That will not be the case now. As I was speaking to the bank representative, I first felt my feathers ruffle and an irritation about "not getting what I deserve" and, within seconds, as I identified above, the words of the Serenity Prayer washed over me and I felt a softening and an acceptance. I thanked the representative for doing what they could, given the circumstances, and expressed my gratitude for being able to have a portion refunded. I felt a "letting go" and I understood in that moment the last line of the prayer -- that I had "the wisdom to know the difference" in terms of what I could and could not change.

After this call, I had fleeting thoughts about upcoming bills and the temporary decrease in incoming finances. At this moment, I reminded myself of the line in the Promises about "...fear of economic security will leave us" and that I trust G-d will take care of me and provide exactly what I need. Whenever I've settled into this, it has never failed me.

During the course of today's events, I had several financial situations taken care of for me, unexpectedly. First, I walked my dog and found a $5 bill on the sidewalk ! A lunch meeting was paid for. A dinner with a friend and her son was paid for. A coffee before the AA meeting was paid for by a member of the women's AA meeting who happened to be working at that particular establishment. The only expenses I had today was the dollar tip I gave to the AA member at the coffeeshop and the buck I put in the AA basket.

When I experience serenity to accept the things I cannot change, I am rewarded 10- fold.

When I have the courage to change the things I can, I am brought into deeper relationship with G-d and with myself.

When I have the wisdom to know the difference, I have humility.

G-d's will not mine be done. This is all I ever need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment